Student Chapter of the American Geriatrics Society
The Touro University Nevada Geriatrics Interest Group (GIG) is a student chapter of the American Geriatrics Society. GIG at TUN is an interdisciplinary professional organization devoted to improving the health, independence, and quality of life of all older people. GIG provides leadership opportunities for students in the healthcare field through service to the community such as charitable events and volunteer opportunities, and education. In addition, GIG members interact with older citizens and geriatricians to provide meaningful guidance and networking that will serve as the foundation for students’ future healthcare career.
The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) is a not-for-profit organization of over 6,000 health professionals devoted to improving the health, independence and quality of life of all older people. The Society provides leadership to healthcare professionals, policy makers and the public by implementing and advocating for programs inpatient care, research, professional and public education, and public policy.
As a student chapter of the AGS, Geriatric Interest Group members have access to free AGS E-membership with the following benefits:
- Quarterly updates via the AGS Trainee Listserv
- Discounted pricing on AGS products and publications, including several premier educational and clinical tools
- Reduced registration fees for the AGS Annual Scientific Meeting
- Opportunity to participate in special Student and Resident activities at the AGS Annual Scientific Meeting
- A variety of resources available through MyAGS, our members-only site:
– One click access to the GeriatricsCareOnline.org to find the Geriatrics Content you need
– AGS Membership Directory
– And Much More…
- Opportunity to join special membership committees, sections, and special interest groups (SIG). Some of these focusing on specific areas in geriatrics, including Students, Residents,Long-Term Care, Nurses, Pharmacists, Social Workers, and Teachers of Geriatric Medicine
- Opportunity to participate in the One-on-One AGS Mentoring Program, a great chance for you to meet with a senior geriatrics faculty member to discuss ideas about starting an academic career, locating research funding, learning more about geriatric practice and administration, or balancing career demands with a successful family life
- Access to the AGS online career center, AGS Career Connection, where you can accelerate your career search by posting your Resumé, searching available job postings and receiving new job alerts
- Ability to Network, Network, Network…
September 3, 2015 – Guest Speaker – Dr. Lisa Rosenberg, MD
October – Smash Tournament Fundraiser conjointly hosted with AMSA – specific dates TBA
Senior Center Blood Pressure/Glucose Screen – dates TBA
Senior Home Visitation Opportunity – dates TBA
GIG 2015-2016 Executive Board
Aurelio Muyot, MD, FACP, AGSF
Dr. Muyot attended the University of The Philippines to obtain his M.D. He completed residencies at both the University Illinois College Of Medicine and the University Of Tennessee College Of Medicine. He is a board certified geriatrician currently practicing at the Touro University Nevada Health Center in Henderson, NV. He has spoken at various geriatric-centered events and is currently assistant professor in primary care at TUNCOM and a geriatric lecturer for the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program.